At explain.co.za we’re passionate about helping people understand the news, and now you can join us on our mission.
We create solutions-focused journalism, which inspires hope and action.
Our agency division works with advocacy groups, academics and corporates to create purpose-driven digital and communication strategies and campaigns.
Applications for our 2022/23 internship cohort are now open. We’re looking for freshly-graduated interns to join our team and work across both divisions, in a number of specialised areas with strong mentorship from industry leaders.
Our previous internship programme was a huge success, with all three of our interns (some pictured above) going on to top opportunities following their time with explain. As one put it:
“One of the highlights of my internship was having the exposure and understanding of the importance of journalism and more. I appreciate the opportunities for professional and personal growth awarded by the company. It has been a privilege to have been part of such a supportive team.”Lesego Chepape
We are looking for interns to place in the following areas:
- Video: Shooting and editing, working from our Joburg office.
- Audience engagement and growth: This includes social media. A background in journalism is preferred and you will work from our Joburg office.
- Bookkeeping: Working from our Joburg office.
- Writing: A background in journalism is preferred. This position can work from Cape Town.
There is a strong possibility of permanent employment for those who perform well in this internship cohort. You will also work on our award-winning Weekly Wrap, which won the World Association of Newspapers award for best media literacy project in 2021. You will attend multiple trainings with our partners, including Sanef and the South African Media Innovation Program.
The deadline is around the corner so hurry and apply now.
Deadline: 22 July 2021
The criteria for applying is that:
- You must have finished your degree recently and have had minimal or no work experience since.
- You will be based at an office in Johannesburg or Cape Town, and must be able to travel there on the week days we work from the office. All Covid-related protocols will be observed.
You will receive a monthly stipend and get to work in a close-knit team with daily mentoring and coaching. You will grow your skills across a variety of projects, stretching your creative muscle while getting direction and feedback. You will also get the opportunity to create a portfolio for yourself. We have a flexible work environment, with select work days in the office, and encourage you to take initiative and build your experience, while offering advice and feedback.
To apply, go here and fill in the form.