Are you an experienced and strong writer with good people skills? This job may be for you. Please read the full job ad below carefully and then apply.
At explain.co.za, we’re passionate about helping people understand the news. We create solutions-focused journalism, which inspires hope and action. Our agency division works with NGOs and corporates, particularly pan-African, to create purpose-driven digital and communication strategies and campaigns.
We’re looking for someone with a passion for creating compelling content to join our team on a short term contract, with strong possibility of renewal. Your primary responsibility will be managing some of our client accounts on the agency side, who trust us to create meaningful content that markets their business.
Our first prize is a journalistic thinker who can bring a creative and thoughtful approach to creating content for both our journalism arm and our clients. Our clients come to us for our nuanced yet accessible approach to creating content, whether it be graphics, social media posts, blogs or videos. You don’t necessarily need to have all the technical competencies to create multimedia: we prefer someone with excellent research and writing skills, and can train for the rest. Some competency with video, especially video editing, would however be favourable.
You will work with some of the best people in the industry and hone your craft, as well as learn critical skills to make it as a multimedia journalist.
You will also learn invaluable skills in both a newsroom environment, as well as an agency – getting the best of both worlds to inform your future career trajectory.
Skills and experience
- First priority: strong journalism skills particularly in research and writing. We want beautifully crafted sentences, backed by deep insight.
- Tertiary Education : Degree in Journalism, Communication, or English
- 2-3 years experience crafting copy, either within an agency, newsroom. If both, consider yourself top of the pile.
- Assisting the MD with setting strategic direction for clients
- Ongoing liaison with clients
- Produce social media content, videos and written content for clients, or oversee the production of these within the team to standard
- Pitching content ideas as needed
- Posting and sharing/socialing of content on the relevant platforms, or overseeing this within the team to standard
- Assisting where needed with creating and sharing/socialing of other explain.co.za content, created by colleagues, freelancers, stakeholders and content creators, on the relevant platforms
- Assisting with growing our client base across our platforms and helping grow the company’s brand
Extra stuff we like to see:
You are motivated and driven. You like taking on challenges, finding creative solutions, helping people and helping yourself. You have a sense of humour, you like to have fun – and you think on your feet!
Sounds like you? Send the below to email@example.com.
- Cover letter, motivating why you’re the right fit
- Salary expectation
Friday, 18 February 2022 Extended to Monday, 21 February 2022